Short-Term Power Market Analyst F/H (2023-90703)
Posted on 06/11/2023
- Contract type:
- Permanent contract
- Level of education:
- Master, DEA, DESS
- Energy Optimization and Trading
- Country / Region:
- United Kingdom
Description of the offer
Department: Short Term Analytics
The Short-Term Analytical Team is an operational team with the following structure:
- 6 market analysts and a manager supporting the French Desk on weekdays:
- 3 analysts are working on Intraday horizon in Paris
- 3 analysts are working on Day Ahead and Week Ahead horizons in London
- The analysts on shift analyse the whole European electricity system in order to support the desks for price forecasting and the trading strategy
- 7 analysts, a deputy and a manager dedicated to the optimization of the EDF portfolio on Day Ahead and Week Ahead horizon.
- These analysts are working 7/7 in Paris.
- The analyst on shift models the available flexibility of the EDF system and translates it into EPEX orders to realise an economically efficient optimisation on the Day Ahead electricity market
- The Analytics Engineering Manager, an Optimization Analyst, and a software engineer
The role is based in London. In order for EDF Trading to maximise the return from the month-ahead to day-ahead wholesale power markets, either from EDF generation assets or through proprietary trading, the traders require detailed, commercially focussed analysis produced on a timely basis.
In the front office, working closely with both the STAT analysts in Paris and the power traders in London, the Short-Term Power Market Analyst has a dual role covering both operational and development duties.
Main Operational Responsibilities
Market Analysis: provide data analytics to the desk, support the French Desk for the price forecast and trading strategy
EDF system risk analysis:
Follow the DA and WA shifts
Communicate time critical information to the traders in London
Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, including REMIT, through the consistent application of defined processes.
Main Development/Modelling Responsibilities
The short-term power market analyst is responsible of the whole life cycle of an application or a model: from the research/design to the development/implementation and the maintenance
Example of models/applications/solutions:
- Fundamental and statistical models to better anticipate market behaviour and improve price forecasting models. All components of the market could be addressed like load forecast, competitors’ orders, availabilities, etc...
- Automation of workflows
- Data visualisation via powerBI or web applications
Ability to work under pressure, timeliness, accuracy and the ability to understand the wider commercial implications of the work are critical to being successful in this position.
The analyst will use his/her expertise to support the short-term power traders while at the same time ensuring an effective operational relationship with the asset managers at EDF. He/she will be expected to take the initiative to continuously improve existing processes, tools and models with the aim of improving the overall management of the EDF portfolio and wholesale market positions.
Fluent in French & English
Educated to master’s degree level, preferably with a high statistics or mathematics component
Experience of building/developing stochastic or deterministic optimisation procedures/models
As well as having strong analytical skills, attention to detail and enthusiasm the candidate needs to have a commercial approach to his/her duties. Similarly, a flexible approach to problem solving and the ability to work under pressure are essential.
Applicants for the role will also be expected to have strong communications skills with the confidence to work effectively with both power traders and asset managers.